Tuesday 5 October 2010

Welcome to Bristol's English Department, have some WINE...

Unfortunately, today I mistook a 3pm event for a 3:30 one, and although by sprinting majestically up the hills of death (like a goddamn gazelle) I managed to make it on time... I was still stuck outside the small room with the rest of the spill-over crowd. On the fortunate side though, Britain continued to be the classiest place on the planet today as after the little "welcome" speech we migrated to the Humanities Conference Room, where they served the masses red and white wine along with "crisps" (chips?).

After about an hour of waiting for the tour of just the English building to start in a loud room crammed with people, I hooked up with another English major (see "British dude" below) who felt like bailing too, and we left to do our own much more useful tour of campus. He helped me locate the library and the bookstore, and (after a totally intentional ten minute detour... *ahem) I managed to show him where the Student Union was located.

Although I've been here a few days now and spoken to students from China, North and South Korea, China, Ireland, China, and Nigeria, I haven't actually gotten to speak with many students from the area-- it was fantastic to finally spend some time with a native! Ultimately, I have to agree that football = soccer and rugby is epic while American football is, well, generally stupid.

Highlights:
Me-"So, what's your favorite movie?"
British dude-"Oh wow, that's a hard one... probably Mean Girls."

Me-"So what was your animal, your mascot for secondary school?"
Same British dude-"I don't think we had one, actually. We had a crest."
Me-"...yeah, we had a bluebird."
****joke here: CREST > bluebird, by at least eighty units of awesome.

2 comments:

  1. The funniest part is not his answers, but the questions you decided to ask!
    Mascot for elementary school?? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!! I see your timing impeccably intact as usual. Also, is this British dude the one for Lizzie or for you? Just wondering. Another stellar post none the less. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete