Sunday 3 October 2010

Observations~

I can't quite tell yet if my sleeping schedule is messed up from jet lag (which I've never really had a problem with before when traveling) or (more likely) if it's because I just instinctively like staying up late and waking up later. Either way, I really need to shake myself awake earlier than 10:40am on Monday! Yesterday I achieved blankets, the ability to work the heater and close the window (which cut down on the club music), and a significant expansion of my mental map (aka: I went shopping)-- hopefully today will be equally productive.

So, my two main observations for last night: 1. There is more shopping within walking distance here than there was within an hour-long driving radius of my house. It's unbelievable! You turn right out my building, you hit a huge plaza, walk through the open air vendors, walk past the enormous home goods/department stores/specialty shops, and THEN--only then--do you reach the actual mall.

2. I would bet that about 60 to 70% of my entire building is Asian. It's crazy! Is it just more common for Asian students (from China especially) to study abroad? Are there just more of them period? Some of them have to fly something like 16 hours to get here! I'm still wiped out after 8 hours! Fortunately for me, though, they make awesome food and have been very welcoming :)

Highlights of my day: Trying to explain what a "badass" is to my Korean flatmate. 
My Canadian flatmate asking if Napoleon Dynamite was what the South of the States is like.

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog!! Did anyone ever tell you that you are a good writer??? You should really look into that. Keep the posts coming. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My Canadian flatmate asking if Napoleon Dynamite was what the South of the States is like"

    This is both hilarious and highly disturbing...

    I miiiiiisssssssss yyyyoooouuuuu!!!

    ReplyDelete