Wednesday 20 October 2010

Dinner time!

So, since we have a communal kitchen, every evening seems to be a time to get together, talk out any frustrations about the day, and just generally chill out. Dinner always seems to turn into a group effort! The other night, Tracy and I made chili, but it until after an epic battle with the three cans of kidney beans and tomatoes... 

We broke one can opener that Carina had gotten from a friend (apparently in China most of the cans have tabs, so nobody in the flat knew how to work the stupid thing anyway), so I went out and bought a new one. Literally two minutes later, the new one was broken as well.

After about an hour of knives, broken can openers, and infuriated shaking, the cans were busted open.

It was worth the wait!

Every other night here practically turns into a feast- when you share, there's more food for everyone. Tracy, Tommy and I are getting to be better cooks everyday, and Carina, Rebecca, Jessica, and Adesewa are like master chefs! They cook every day, and always so generous ^_^ Last night, one of Tommy's classmates from China did both the corn and chicken dish plus the mushrooms/soy sauce and chicken plate. Rebecca made us each a plate of thin noodles, hot dog slices, cucumbers and carrots too- it was all DELICIOUS. Tracy and I contributed hamburgers, which also turned out surprisingly well! 


So far though, one of my favorite things yet has been Jessica's "little fishies" from Korea. Super salty, with a tangy, nutty sauce--I had to close my eyes the first time, but these little guys are just fantastic.

Can you spot the little fishies?? (Hint: look for eyes)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the picture of your poor poor mangled cans. It is the MOST PATHETIC thing I have ever seen. Yet,... I am so IMPRESSED that no one got cut by any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha, I'm honestly still in shock that nobody lost a finger- at more than one point we were literally stabbing the cans with steak knives XD

    ReplyDelete