Monday 4 October 2010

Monday- Registration begins.

Woot! Ok. Today I finally managed to purchase a pay as you go phone (my credit cards only seem to work in certain places- they actually seem to be made differently than the ones normally used here), met up with Daphna (the gorgeous Bohemian-style Bristol student from NYC I met via facebk), proved to the school that I am a legal immigrant AND picked up my student ID.

Now, when I say I "picked up" my ID, I mean to say that after trekking up and down the winding hills of Bristol for 1.5 hours, I finally found the half hour long "queue" that led to the ID. By the time I got back, my feet were throbbing and my legs were burning-- these are SERIOUS hills, people.

Tonight I also met a new group of people- three students from Nigeria. The girl (Sho-wa? I had a bit of trouble pronouncing her name) is our final flatmate. Hahaha, I'm still the whitest person ever, but at least she adds a little more visual diversity so I don't stand out *quite* so much! I just wandered into the kitchen to toss in the British version of a Ramen (Pot-noodles) for dinner, and she insisted I have some of what she had cooked. It was a rice dish with chicken and carrots (super tasty and REALLY filling), but I tell you what-- it was the spiciest rice I have EVER encountered. Half way through my bowl when I filled my fifth glass of water, the guy across from me had inhaled his entire plate with nothing to drink. MADNESS. Haha, I was informed that our peppers "taste like sugar" compared to what they are used to eating!

Highlights:
As I'm walking behind two male British students, I overhear a conversation about one telling the other about studying abroad in the States- "Oh yeah, they love the accent. It's fantastic." "Haha, oh yeah, you just get to pretend to be all suave and debonair!" "Oi, what you mean pretend??" *conversation dissolves into British laughter*

Tracy (outgoing Canadian girl from our flat) while we were sitting in a Krispy Kreme shop, asked a young British girl and her absurdly charming grandfather a question about the name of a spell from Harry Potter. Apparently the series seemed to scare the young girl, but the grandfather loved it X3

British dude who kindly helped me with directions:
Me-"Oh, I'm from the States, by the way."
Him-"Haha, uh, yeah." (clearly indicating my American accent was ridiculously obvious) "So whereabouts are you from?"
Me-"Kentucky. Northern Kentucky."
Him-"Huh. Oh yeah, well, all I really know about is your chicken..."

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! Love the pics. Glad you got registered. Any chance of e mailing that new phone number to Mom and Dad? You are really expanding your culinary horizons. Your quads and hams are going to be rock solid after those hills for year. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, This reminds me of when we were in Ireland & someone asked if there were KFCs in America. Love that you're blogging this - it's like the second-best thing to ACTUALLY getting to live in England, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can totally turn this blog into a book! I look forward to all of your posts - and not just because I love you and desperately miss you - but because they are hilarious and entertaining!

    Those overheard conversations are gold.

    Please come back with an accent. Or a hot single guy with an accent (for ME, so this doesn't include the one you plan to bring back for yourself hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. British laughter XD Priceless

    ReplyDelete