Saturday 6 November 2010

BATTLE COMMENCES.

I have officially begun locking myself up in my room again in order to complete my Grad School Apps and first two papers- it's like the student's version of hibernation, only without the sleeping part. Now, although this does mean Christmas break will be wayyyy more enjoyable than last time, it also means all I can really update you on is the status of my room (SUPER clean, I even vacuumed) and the quality of the tuna salad we made yesterday (FOOD OF THE GODS).

I've emailed a professor here (who I barely know) asking about the third rec letter- hopefully I'll hear back soon! I'm cranking out the Personal Statement while still trying to keep it as kick-ass as possible, my CV is good to go, and if my work ethic holds, I'll order transcripts/GRE Scores today too. Overall, just prepare for many epic, battle-themed Facebook statuses which are actually metaphors for how I feel about completing these apps while keeping up with school work! The first two deadlines are December 1st (read: My first two enemies are quickly approaching-- I can see their black outlines against the horizon now), so I'll keep you updated!

Gripe: One load of laundry is £2.70, one load in the dryer costs £1, and you better hope you have exact amounts, because the machines don't give change. After doing the math out of morbid curiosity ($6 total per load), I am now never using the dryer again, which stinks (literally, drying socks smell horrible). But you can upgrade your laundry load to a "super size!" for just 55pence more! Yeah, thanks a lot, you guys are princes.

Highlights: 

British hippies were protesting in front of the Bristol Museum, which is currently holding an exhibit on "Flight" or, technically speaking, "come look at our sweet war planes!" Of course, when I say "hippies" plural, I mean like, maybe four, and by "protesting," I mean handing out the flyers below. The hippie in me shouts, "Hell yeah, good for you guys!" The English major in me shouts, "Would it have killed you to grammar-check your freaking flyers???" And the me in me just thinks the visual they chose is wonderfully snarky and hilarious.

Needless to say: LAWL. Two points, British hippies, two points.




~Some dude was in full bunny pj's at the dance club we went to Halloween weekend! Of course, awesome/creepy as that was, even he still can't top the two 80 year old men at the club I went to a few weeks ago-- both of them were out-dancing the drunk chicks and had on white tshirts with "LEGEND" printed on the back.

~Korean flatmate told me how impressive my chopstick skills were- potentially better than hers!

~Massage club. Period. Highlight of my week, every Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Massage club? Kind of creepy. So...do you just get massages or do you have to massage other members?

    (No thanks. I don't like to be touched by strangers, let alone be rubbed down by them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I go with Jess/Eunjae- you have to bring a partner, or you risk winding up with a creeper *shudder* And lawl, we'll see how you feel about massage after me and my magic fingers bring back the secret British techniques of relaxation ;D

    ReplyDelete