Saturday 25 June 2011

Mini-post: Overnight on a Train

So, I couldn't bring myself to leave this out- traveling from Berlin to Amsterdam proved a bit tricky, but we decided the best way to do it would be an overnight train. Not only was it the most convenient, but it would be an experience in itself anyway.

The minor story is this: Although Chad and I showed up with our printed out tickets ready to go, Ivo didn't have his printed out. Naturally, although you can't get on the train without one printed out, there are no printers within the vicinity. Ivo's plan to just show his ticket to security on his iTouch (which, by the way, had about 5% power remaining) now failed. Thrown into a panic over the prospect of leaving one of our party totally alone in a non-English speaking country with no money (none of his credit cards were working here), I dragged him downstairs where we finally managed to communicate our issue to the woman behind the desk. After another panicked sprint to the hotel with printers behind the train station with about ten minutes to spare (where Ivo almost started a conversation with the hotel desk guy about the ongoing soccer football match), we finally got his ticket and sprinted back. In his opinion, we made it with time to spare. In my opinion, it took the full ten minutes of waiting to work past the five heart attacks I'd had in the last hour.

However! We all made it on, safe and sound. Ivo had bought his ticket later, so he was in a bed in a shared room, but Chad and I had booked early and gotten a sweet private. Haha, I've never been in such a hilariously brilliant tiny space. Probably about six by six feet, yet they somehow managed to squeeze in a full sink/vanity, luggage storage above and below beds, a possible three beds, and individual lighting for each bed. 
Haha, naturally I called top bunk (who wouldn't??). This is my view of Chad while I was up there- as you can see, the distance between the edge of the metal bed frames and the side wall was almost exactly his shoulder width.


Sorry it's a bit crooked (on top of everything else, the train was rocking pretty badly the whole time). This is what I'm guessing must be a bed for pets? I'm already in my own bunked bed now, and so this little nook was a good eight feet above the cabin floor? Seems so unwise- I can't imagine being able to keep an animal comfortable up there, but what the heck else could it be for?? If I'm worried about my dog flying off, I'm really hoping it's not meant for babies!

Chad trying to get past the terrifying ladder I used to climb up into my bed.

Luggage storage- we were way too nervous about getting crushed to death by a flying suitcase though to use it- everything just got shoved under our beds. Mostly though, the video explains it all:


Would I recommend it? Yeah, sure- great price if you buy early, since you save a night in a hostel. It also makes a great time saver, since for once you can finally accomplish something while you sleep! However, it's definitely not for light sleepers or the faint of heart. See you in Amsterdam!

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to overnight on a train ever since I read Murder on the Orient Express...which I suppose should make me NOT want to overnight on a train, but in my imagination I am the one solving the crimes and not one of the victims...

    It would really suck to be in a room that size with a stranger. You'd get to know each other pretty well pretty fast haha

    Glad you put up the video to give us a better idea of size.

    P.S. I would totally set my baby on that wall shelf/baby bed lolz

    ReplyDelete